WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF PRIVATE LESSONS?
For those of you who might not have experience studying privately, here are just a few of the reasons to sign up for lessons at Corey Colmey Drum Instruction.
- Corey is a caring, loving, honest and trained professional with years of experience teaching both children and adults. Yes he has accolades from some of the country’s top music institutions, but it’s more about his passion for making a difference in his student’s lives.
- Students and parents continually find that private drum lessons are extremely therapeutic for individuals with anxiety disorders, ADHD, ADD, ASD, and those who suffer from depression. Did you know Corey has Asperger’s syndrome? After his son Samuel was formally diagnosed at age 5, he started to notice similar characteristics between them. Not willing to diagnose himself, he decided to meet with a specialist and went through the testing. Today, he sees autism and Asperger’s as a tremendous blessing in his life, as it’s helped him frame how he sees the world and other people. Life is still challenging in different areas because of how his brain works, but he’s learned to make use of his skills and reach people on a level that most can’t. As for private lessons, he and his students continue to benefit from the structure provided in his sessions. “Loose, but firm ” is his internal mantra.
- Watch how relaxed and less tense you’ll become after playing the drums. You’ll be amazed at how much tension we have in our bodies that prohibits us from doing what we want to do. In order to play properly, Corey will guide you on how to continually stay relaxed in lessons.
- Increase your ability to focus and pay attention. When you play the drums, you learn how to balance several tasks at once (technique, sound, relaxation, listening, groove, reading, creativity and more) which contributes to significant changes in the brain. Simply put, MUSIC MAKES YOU SMARTER.
- Develop a beautiful and universal language that you can speak with anyone in the world, all without saying a word. Drumming is extremely powerful, as when we sync up to the rhythm in our own lives, we are able to hear and conversate with others much better.
- Learn how to be humble by getting out of your own head and focus on what matters most. Playing the drums can be very expressive, and self fulfilling, and that’s all great. However, there are more times than not that you must sacrifice what you want for the greater good. In other words, sometimes you just need to keep time and play the song. You must make the groove feel good for the other members in the band. Get it?
- Develop self confidence. Drumming at any level takes a lot of training and persistence. When you study with Corey, you are constantly building a strong foundation, while stretching yourself to learn new material. As you begin to excel, you really start to see the fruits of your labors, and in turn makes you feel incredible.
- Keep your brain active. Students of all ages benefit greatly from drumming, as it gets them out of the fast paced, technological world and into a place where critical thinking, reasoning and creativity have to work together. This all contributes to more symmetrical hemispheres of the brain, and larger corpus callosum, which is the band of nerve fibers that enables the two hemispheres of the brain to communicate with each other. Studies have also found that the areas of the brain responsible for motor cont after studying the drums.
Want to know more?
Feel free to contact Corey anytime.
(315) 571 – 4111